The Group's history goes back to the first issue of the Carlisle Patriot on 3 June 1815. During the nineteenth century the company remained Carlisle based, but expanded to publish The East Cumberland News (the two newspapers were subsequently amalgamated to form The Cumberland News). John Burgess, the present Chief Executive's great grandfather, joined the company in 1867 and became Editor in 1868 (there was no such thing as a chief executive in those days!)
In the twentieth century the company expanded with an evening paper in Carlisle, and after the Second World War moved to acquire titles in west Cumbria, Hexham, Barrow-in-Furness and, more recently, Langholm in Dumfriesshire.
The company was a founder shareholder in Border Television, and although managed separately, remained involved until it was sold at the end of the 1990s. At the end of the 90s the Group decided to expand into radio, buying six stations. More recently, the company has sold its Midlands Stations and now has two TheBay in Morecambe Bay and Lakeland Radio in Kendal.
The Group sees itself continuing to expand in the future.